Dear beach lovers, once coming to Vietnam, don’t miss our precious island called Phu Quoc! With crystal-clear seawater, white sand dunes, and diverse marine life, this island has what it takes to be one of the top Vietnam travel destinations. For the best means to travel from Ho Chi Minh to Phu Quoc Island, scroll to see our comprehensive guide.
Overview of Phu Quoc Island
Distance between Ho Chi Minh and Phu Quoc Island: 380 km
- Phu Quoc is the largest island in Vietnam, located in Kien Giang, a province of the Mekong Delta
- Thanks to its miraculous beauty and prosperous pearl industry, Phu Quoc Island is also called Pearl Island
- Best time to visit Phu Quoc: the dry season (from October to March)
- The most popular transports to go from Ho Chi Minh to Phu Quoc Island: airplane, bus and ferry/high-speed boat
Ways to Travel from Ho Chi Minh to Phu Quoc Island
Ho Chi Minh to Phu Quoc Island by Airplane
- Departure: Tan Son Nhat International Airport
- Destination: Phu Quoc International Airport
- Price: VND 800,000 – 1,400,000/ticket
- Duration: 1 hour
- Budget airlines (economical for domestic flights): Vietjet Air, Jetstar, Bamboo Airways
- National airline (few delays, more professional services): Vietnam Airlines
- With charter flights, checked baggage is usually not included in the airfare so you may also have to pay the baggage fee
- From Phu Quoc International Airport, you should take a taxi to reach the town center
While Tan Son Nhat International Airport is always packed with people
… Phu Quoc International Airport is less crowded and smaller in size
Phu Quoc International Airport makes it easy to fly directly from or to foreign countries. Taking a flight from Ho Chi Minh to Phu Quoc is the most convenient and time-saving way as there are 4 airlines in Ho Chi Minh providing more than 10 trips per day, you will have no problem finding a ticket that suits your needs.
Ho Chi Minh to Phu Quoc Island by Bus and Ferry/High-speed Boat
To get from Ho Chi Minh City to Phu Quoc Island, one has to overcome to journeys: firstly, travel on the roads by bus to get to Kien Giang Province and secondly, transfer on the water by high-speed boat or ferry to get to the island! Sounds intriguing enough? Here are 2 suggested itineraries.
Itinerary 1: Ho Chi Minh – Rach Gia – Phu Quoc
From Ho Chi Minh, catch a bus to Rach Gia City in Kien Giang Province. Since Rach Gia has various tourist attractions, spend a few hours exploring the city before going to Phu Quoc. For a more relaxing journey, staying one night in Rach Gia is a good idea.
- Places to visit in Rach Gia: Nguyen Trung Truc Temple, Tam Bao Pagoda, Tam Quan Gate, Kien Giang Museum
- Dishes to try in Rach Gia: Xoi Xiem (Thai Sticky Rice), Bun Ca (Fish Rice Noodle Soup)
Nguyen Trung Truc Temple
Tam Bao Pagoda
|Price (VND/ticket)||150,000 – 280,000||240,000 – 270,000||300,000 – 320,000|
|Duration||5 – 7 hours||3 hours||2 – 2 hours and 30 minutes|
|Itinerary||Ho Chi Minh – Rach Gia||Rach Gia – Phu Quoc Island|
Phuong Trang, Mai Linh, Kumho Samco,
|Thanh Thoi||Superdong, Phu Quoc Express|
There are bars, restaurants, and a cafe on Thanh Thoi ferry
Superdong is one of the leading speedboats in Vietnam
Itinerary 2: Ho Chi Minh – Ha Tien – Phu Quoc
The road from Ho Chi Minh to Ha Tien is quite long and rough so you should have a rest in Ha Tien before leaving for Phu Quoc Island. As a small city, Ha Tien might not offer many bars and clubs, but in compensation, there are numerous street food stalls along the beach and a night market a few steps away. After spending a night in Ha Tien, head straight to the so-called Pearl Island the next morning.
Mac Cuu Tomb
|Price (VND/ticket)||160,000 – 240,000||130,000 – 190,000||160,000 – 250,000|
|Duration||8 – 9 hours||2 hours 30 minutes||1 hour 10 minutes|
|Itinerary||Ho Chi Minh – Ha Tien||Ha Tien – Phu Quoc Island|
|Recommended brands||Phuong Trang, Kumho Samco, Khai Nam||Thanh Thoi, Superdong||Superdong, Phu Quoc Express|
Ticket prices of Superdong are more reasonable than that of Phu Quoc Express
- Book tickets online at authorized platforms to plan your journey. Look for price and ticket availability below
- Limousine buses may have higher prices, but the seats will be more comfortable
- The road from Ho Chi Minh to Rach Gia or Ha Tien is not smooth, so you might feel a bit car sick
– Ferry and High-speed boat:
- Bring your passport, and have a picture copy be stored on the phone
- Arrive at the ferry station 30 minutes prior to the departure time
- The departure time depends on weather conditions. The company is allowed to change vehicles, and service schedules without compensation
Find your tickets to travel to Phu Quoc:
Summary of How to Travel from Ho Chi Minh to Phu Quoc Island
While flying is pricey yet comfortable, the option with the bus, ferry, and boat can trigger your adventurous self. We hope our guide has sufficient information on choosing your transports for the next Phu Quoc vacation.
Please share with our fellow readers your experiences of traveling to Phu Quoc in the comment section below. Was it worth it? Did you enjoy yourself? Will you come back to Phu Quoc Island any time soon?