Moc Chau is the central district of Son La province in the Northern of Vietnam. Domestic and international travelers alike have adored with the not-yet-to-be-exploited nature and immense yet poetic plateaus in Moc Chau. If you do not feel like staying in the hustle and bustle of Hanoi, read our guide to travel from Hanoi to Moc Chau and enjoy the adventurous nature here.
An Overview of Moc Chau
Distance from Hanoi to Moc Chau: 200 km
- Moc Chau Town is in Moc Chau District of Son La Province and the most popular transports to travel from Hanoi to Moc Chau are: motorbikes, cars, and buses
- Best time to visit Moc Chau?
- January – February: The time for plum flowers and blossoms to bloom brilliantly
- March: The blooming time of “Ban” flower – a white flower that only belongs to the mountains in Vietnam
- October – November: The weather is fresh and cool, perfect for a retreat!
- Weather in Moc Chau: There are usually many rainfalls in Moc Chau. The average temperature is 19.8℃, the warmest month is June (24.1℃), and the coldest month is January (13.1℃)
- Moc Chau’s attractions: Moc Chau Happy Land (tourist area), Tea plantations, Plum Valley Na Ka, Moc Chau plateau, strawberry fields, Dai Yem Waterfall, Ban Ang Pine Forest, and so on
Dai Yem Waterfall – a check-in spot that cannot be missed in Moc Chau
Once in Ban Ang Pine Forest, you will be amazed at the number of pines and how fresh the air is. You can even try strawberry yogurt around this area
Moc Chau’s Accommodations: Homestays, Bungalows, Hostels, and Hotels
Bungalows in Moc Chau widely adored for their eye-catching decoration and the owners’ hospitality
- Moc Chau’s Specialties: Salmon, Tinder grilled goat meat, Yogurt with fermented purple sticky rice, “Goi be” (thinly sliced beef wrapped in rice paper with pineapples, ginger, Vietnamese herbs, raw bananas, and cucumbers)
If you come in the right season, you may have a chance to pick strawberries by yourself and taste them
Never been to Moc Chau? Check our First-time guide to Moc Chau for more fun suggestions
Our Suggestions to Travel from Hanoi to Moc Chau
How to Travel from Hanoi to Moc Chau – Rental Motorbikes/Cars:
Recommended route: From Nguyen Trai – Thanh Xuan (Ha Dong direction), or from Lang Hoa Lac, go straight to Highway 6 and then make for Xuan Mai – Hoa Binh, then Cao Phong – Mai Chau. (At the end of this route, you may pass “Cot co”, which is a flagpole that indicates the distance; standing from this spot, you can look down to the valley of Mai Chau – Hoa Binh.
Unless you are confident enough in riding motorbikes and you have a group of friends to join, we do not suggest this means of transport to go to Moc Chau
Rental vehicles seem to be the most proper transport to travel from Hanoi to Moc Chau thanks to its flexibility. You have the freedom to stop by any spots on the route and admire the rustic beauty of the mountains. However, the journey can be dangerous since not every road has been renovated, and there are also a lot of hazardous loops with steep mountain passes. We do not recommend this transport if you are not familiar with mountainous roads in Vietnam or maneuvering the motorbikes.
Having said that, you can choose rental cars – with or without a personal driver. A private driver included definitely costs a bit higher (around VND 500,000/day), but that extra money can be shared if you travel in groups.
How to Travel from Hanoi to Moc Chau – Buses and Limousines
There are daily buses that run from My Dinh Bus Station and Yen Nghia Station to Son La Province, and the journey usually takes 6 hours. The only con of this transport is the fact that you will have to rent other vehicles to travel around Moc Chau.
Ticket price: VND 150,000 – 180,000/pax
Operating time: 5 AM – 9 PM
Buses in My Dinh Station are generally 45-seat
Ticket price: VND 130,000 – 160,000
Operating time: 5 AM – 1 PM
Buses available Yen Nghia Station are smaller in size, which is often from 16 to 25-seat.
Limousines are the best choice if you have a little more money to spend on a comfy trip
Duration: 5 hours
Ticket price: VND 250,000 – 280,000/pax
Some trusted hotlines:
XVip: 0833 666 196
ADAM Viet – Xuan Trang – Pumpkin: 1900 575 725
Limousines often accommodate up to 25 seats, which are much more comfortable and cleaner than standard bus services, and there will be no situation of squeezing too many passengers into the vehicle since all seats must be pre-booked.
Our Best Tips to Travel from Hanoi to Moc Chau
- For rental vehicles, remember to gas up your tank and look for petrol/gas stations along the way; try to depart in the early morning as well
- If you choose to rent cars that include a driver, check with the transport company and the driver carefully about the accommodation of the driver and other extra fees. In some cases, you may have to cover all the expenses of the driver
- You may want to contact the homestay owners to ask for the short-cuts and directions to save time
Moc Chau’s plum garden
How to Travel from Hanoi to Moc Chau – Our Summary
Moc Chau is a perfect hide-out destination if you plan to get a retreat from all the urban scene. Take our guide into consideration to plan your trip from Hanoi to Moc Chau.
Have questions? Let us know in the comment section below