Ho Chi Minh City is a dynamic city known as the economic center of Vietnam. There are thousands of famous branches here enough to fulfilling your shopping indulgences. If you intend to buy some luxurious products while visiting Ho Chi Minh City, this guide will help you get some money back regarding the VAT refund at Tan Son Nhat International Airport (SGN). Check out our answers to some frequently asked questions:
Q: Who is eligible to claim a VAT refund at Tan Son Nhat International Airport (SGN)?
A: You are eligible to claim for a VAT refund at Tan Son Nhat International Airport if you
- Hold a valid passport, which is not issued by Vietnamese authorities, when entering or exiting Vietnam;
- Must not be a member of the flight crew;
- Purchase goods from enterprises selected to implement the VAT refund.
Q: What are the requirements for VAT refunded goods?
A: VAT refunded goods must meet the following requirements:
- Subject to the VAT, unused, and allowed on aircraft according to Vietnam’s civil aviation law;
- Not on the list of export prohibitions or restrictions;
- Invoices and VAT refund declaration form issued within 60 days before departure date;
- Valid invoice and/or accumulated invoices within 1 day from 1 store of goods costing at least 2 million VND.
Q: What to prepare for a VAT refund at Tan Son Nhat International Airport?
A: These are the paperwork you should prepare for a VAT refund claim:
- Passport (original)
- Boarding pass (original)
- Invoices and VAT refund declaration form provided by the enterprises where you purchased the products (original)
- The goods you want to claim the VAT refund
|To have fun trips in Ho Chi Minh City, check out our authentic motorbike tours with professional local guides!|
Q: What is the VAT refund procedure at Tan Son Nhat International Airport?
A: If you want to purchase VAT refund goods, here is the normal procedure.
When purchasing goods in stores selected to implement the VAT refund, you must present a valid passport (original) to get the invoices and instructed to fill in the VAT refund declaration form;
Before doing the procedures to check in luggage, you must present paperwork 1, 3, 4 (in the above question) to customs officers at VAT Refund Goods Customs Inspection Counter to get a “Checked” stamp and the total VAT refund calculated;
VAT Refund Goods Customs Inspection Counter located at the left end corner of all of the check-in counters
At VAT refund counters inside the airport, you must present 1, 2, 3 (in the above question) stamped “Checked” by customs authority to one of the authorized commercial banks below to receive the VAT refund. Note that regular business hours apply. If your flight time is outside of the business hours, the counter is closed.
Q: Which banks can I approach for a VAT refund at Tan Son Nhat International Airport?
A: Inside of Tan Son Nhat International Airport, there are two banks assigned to resolve the VAT refund claim: BIDV and VietinBank. You can check out BIDV and VietinBank’s logo below to be familiarized with them.
BIDV (left) and VietinBank (right)
Q: How much and when do I receive the VAT refund?
A: You will receive a refund as 85% of the total amount of VAT amount noted in the invoice and VAT refund declaration form; the other 15% is charged as a refunding fee for the bank. You are supposed to receive the refund right after you finish the VAT refund procedure and before you get on board.
Note that the VAT refund currency is VND. You can exchange from VND to foreign currencies at VAT refund counters or the currency exchange kiosks in the airport, according to the current exchange rate.
Q: Where can I buy goods that are applicable for a VAT refund at Tan Son Nhat airport?
A: Here are some places where you can purchase VAT refund goods in Ho Chi Minh City:
Parkson Plaza, Diamond Plaza, Vincom, Union Square, Takashimaya, Crescent Mall, Zen Plaza
Takashimaya and Parkson in Ho Chi Minh City
Or you can approach these branded stores to purchase VAT refund goods like clothes, and souvenirs:
Viet Tien Garment Joint Stock Company; Duy Anh Fashion & Cosmetic Co., Ltd; Au Chau Fashion & Cosmetic; Chau My Fashing & Cosmetic Co., Ltd; Omega Boutique; Tic Tac Boutique; Kien Lam Handicraft; Phong Vu Computer.
Above is our guide about the VAT refund at Tan Son Nhat International Airport (SGN). Make sure you allow yourself enough time to sort out the claim and check-in before departure. We hope they will be helpful in helping you claiming VAT refunds, and wish you a nice trip in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
You may also like to learn more about: